What Makes Something Funny?
Have you ever stopped to wonder why one person laughs until they cry while someone else just stares at you? I think that's one of the great mysteries of comedy.
The truth is, what's funny is different for everyone. Your age, where you grew up, your family, your friends, and even your life experiences all shape your sense of humor. Sometimes it's an inside joke that only two people understand. Every time they see each other, they laugh all over again, while everyone else is left wondering what they missed.
I have relatives who laugh at things that I don't find remotely funny. Then I'll say something that I think is hilarious, and they don't even crack a smile. That's comedy. It's personal.
As a stand-up comedian, I've learned that lesson the hard way. I've walked onto a stage convinced a joke was going to bring the house down... only to hear absolute silence. There may not be a worse feeling in the world than standing under the lights while nobody laughs. Time seems to stop, the room gets painfully quiet, and you can actually feel that hot burning sensation creeping up the back of your neck. Every comedian knows exactly what I'm talking about.
When I was growing up in the 1970s, sitcoms were what made me laugh the most. In my small town, you didn't get to see many live comedians. If you wanted comedy, you hoped to find a comedy album or maybe an 8-track tape. Then you'd sneak off and listen to it by yourself because a lot of comedians back then had a pretty salty vocabulary, and Mom probably wasn't going to approve.
There were clean comedians, of course. Steve Martin was one of the biggest stars around. At the time, though, I just didn't connect with his stand-up. All I really remembered was him saying, "I'm a wild and crazy guy!" while wearing an arrow through his head. Years later, I completely changed my mind after seeing The Jerk. Today, I think it's one of the funniest movies ever made.
Television was where comedy really lived for me. Happy Days gave us the unforgettable Fonz with his famous "Heeey!" and thumbs-up. Welcome Back, Kotter was another favorite, although I have to admit I thought John Travolta's character was so goofy that it actually made me skip Saturday Night Fever when it first came out. Funny how opinions change. These days, I think Travolta is terrific, especially in Pulp Fiction.
I remember laughing so hard at those shows that my mom would come into my room just to see what was so funny. Those were different times. If you missed your favorite show when it aired, that was it. There was no streaming, no DVR, and definitely no "I'll watch it later." You either watched it live or waited months for a rerun.
I also loved the classics. The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, Martin, and Mister Ed, the talking horse, were regular favorites. Someone once told me they put peanut butter in Mister Ed's mouth so his lips would move when he "talked." I have no idea if that's true, but I believed it as a kid!
The amazing thing is that many of those old shows are still funny today. Great comedy doesn't really get old. As I write this, Dick Van Dyke and Mel Brooks are both well into their nineties, and they're still making people smile. Maybe there really is something to that old saying: laughter is the best medicine.
Looking back, I think those television shows planted the seed that eventually led me to stand-up comedy. I simply love to laugh, and I love making other people laugh. Sure, I probably should have started performing years earlier, but it's never too late to chase something that makes you happy.
I'm getting close to 60 now, but every time I step onto a stage or write something that makes someone smile, I remember why I started. And who knows? Maybe if I keep laughing, I'll be one of those people still cracking jokes well into my nineties.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this article, take a look at some of the products I've featured below. Every click and purchase helps support the blog and lets me keep writing about the funny side of life. I really appreciate it!
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn't cost you anything extra, and every purchase helps support this blog. Thanks for your support!
INSIGNIA 50" Class F50 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV 169.00 Check it out
Beats Solo 4 - Wireless On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones, Up to 50-Hour Battery Life
Check It out
12 Amazon Deals Today

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments please follow