FUNNY JOKES

Share a funny joke

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Funny for Five Minutes of Comedy 8/20/2026

Good news — I’m heading to Mesquite Comedy Club, and I’ve got some new material!

I’m hoping it’s funny. I mean, I think it’s funny, which is generally how this whole comedy thing starts.

I really enjoy going to Mesquite and getting on stage. There’s nothing quite like driving 100 miles to tell jokes to strangers and then driving 100 miles back home wondering if the jokes were actually funny or if everybody was just being polite.

I do have a tip button on my website, although so far it has received approximately the same amount of attention as a gym membership in January. 😂

But honestly, you do appreciate it when people support you. You’re putting in the effort to travel, come up with new material, get on stage, and hopefully make somebody laugh. For me, the biggest reward is still seeing somebody have a good time because of something I said.

That said, I do think five minutes is a pretty short amount of time for comics who are trying to develop new material. Maybe once a month, the club could give the comics 10–15 minutes. Give us a little room to stretch our legs before somebody turns the hook light on.

And I’d love to see some kind of joke competition.

Not because I think comedy needs to become the Olympics, but because a little competition might give comics an extra reason to come prepared with their best material. It would be fun to see who can actually put together the funniest five or ten minutes.

Personally, I’m more interested in hearing somebody tell a great joke than watching somebody spend five minutes asking the audience questions. Crowd work has its place, but I think writing and developing material is where the real fun is.

And after you get on stage a few times, you usually start figuring out what works. If you tell a joke and the room laughs, that's good information. If you tell it three different times and the only thing laughing is the air conditioner, that's also good information. 😂

That doesn't mean you should quit. It means change it up.

Try something new. Rewrite the joke. Try a different story. Find another angle. Comedy is a craft, and nobody gets better by doing the exact same thing forever.

For a lot of people, comedy is a hobby. If you're young, funny, ambitious, and willing to put in the work, maybe it can turn into a career. If you're getting closer to 60 like me, you're probably not sitting around waiting for Netflix to call. 😂

But that doesn't mean you can't have a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

And if you're 65, 70, or 80 and you're funny and you want to give comedy a shot — go for it. There are no age restrictions on making people laugh.

Everything I'm saying here is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

For me, comedy isn't really about getting rich. My payment is making somebody laugh for a few minutes and hopefully giving them a little break from whatever else is going on in their life.

Honestly, that's a pretty good paycheck.

But... if you'd like to throw a little tip my way, I'm not going to tackle you. 😂

You can find me at JAY SCOTT COMEDY.

 I also have a few digital products for sale on my Payhip store, and I’ve got some Amazon links on my site for things I think you might like. Every little bit helps support what I’m doing with comedy and lets me keep creating new stuff. So if you see something you like, check it out — and if you don’t, that's okay too. I’ll still be here telling jokes and driving 100 miles home afterward. 😂

 

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Plus (newest model) with AI-powered Fire TV Search, 49.99

PAYHIP Check It Out 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments please follow

Ten Funny Movie Trailers

       There are several movies on this list that I’d like to see. I love a good new comedy, and two of the movies I’m probably most looking...