What is it like trying to build a YouTube channel while also learning stand-up comedy? I'm still figuring it out. With nine subscribers, I'm certainly not taking over YouTube anytime soon, but that's not really the point. I started making videos because I enjoy comedy, telling stories and hopefully making people laugh.
Why I Keep Making Videos Even Though Nobody Asked Me To
I’m always trying something new on my YouTube channel.
So far, I have nine subscribers.
That’s right. Nine.
I’m not exactly fighting MrBeast for the top spot just yet.
But honestly, I’m okay with that.
I’m not trying to build the biggest YouTube channel in the world. I’m just trying to entertain people — the same way I try to entertain people when I get onstage and do stand-up comedy.
My editing skills are... well, let’s just say they’re a work in progress. I know enough to get a video together, but I’m not expecting Adobe to call me anytime soon and ask me to teach a class.
And sometimes I wonder if anybody really wants to hear what I have to say.
But then I think about why I started doing this in the first place.
I like making people laugh.
That’s really what my YouTube channel and this blog are about. If somebody watches one of my videos or reads something I wrote and gets a laugh out of it, then I’ve accomplished what I wanted to do.
Comedy Isn't Supposed to Be Perfect
I’ve been doing stand-up comedy at Mesquite for about a year now. The problem is, I live about 100 miles from Corpus Christi, so I don’t always get to make it there as often as I’d like.
I’m always hoping I can go.
Then life happens.
Sometimes you have plans, and life looks at those plans and says, “Yeah Right.”
But when I do make it there, I try to have something new written. I want to bring something different to the stage and, hopefully, make it funny.
That’s one of the things I love about comedy.
You never really know if a joke is going to work until you say it in front of another human being.
You can sit at home and think, “This is hilarious!”
Then you get onstage, tell the joke, and hear nothing but crickets.
And suddenly you realize the crickets are getting a better reaction than you are.
How Dirty Is Too Dirty?
I try to keep my comedy from getting too dirty.
Every once in a while, though, I’ll throw something a little naughty into the act.
But I always ask myself one question:
“Can I say this without making somebody uncomfortable?”
There’s a difference between being funny and simply trying to shock people.
Some comedians throw out dirty joke after dirty joke because the shock itself gets a reaction. And hey, if that’s your style and the audience enjoys it, go for it.
But for me, I think a good joke takes more than just saying something shocking.
It takes time and effort to make something genuinely funny.
Crowd Work or Real Comedy?
Something else I’ve noticed a lot lately is crowd work.
Now, I’m not saying crowd work can’t be funny. It absolutely can.
But sometimes I wonder if it has become a little too popular.
A comedian walks into a room, finds somebody in the audience, asks them what they do for a living, and suddenly they have a five-minute comedy routine.
To me, sometimes it feels like throwing spaghetti against the wall and hoping something sticks.
My favorite jokes are usually the ones that tell a story.
Give me a funny story about somebody’s life and I’m interested.
Maybe that’s part of the reason reality television became so popular. People like looking into somebody else’s life. We become observers.
And when a comedian can take an ordinary experience from their life and turn it into a funny story, I think that’s where some of the best comedy comes from.
You recognize something from your own life.
You think, “I’ve been there.”
And then you laugh.
I'm Still Figuring This Thing Out
I know my videos aren’t great.
They probably never will be.
But I’m having fun making them.
And if one or two people enjoy them, that means something to me.
It’s the same feeling I get when someone comes up to me after a comedy show and says:
“I liked your comedy. It was funny.”
That might not sound like much, but to somebody standing onstage hoping to make people laugh, it means a lot.
You don’t need thousands of people cheering for you to know you did something worthwhile.
Sometimes one person laughing is enough.
So I’m going to keep making the videos.
I’m going to keep writing jokes.
I’m going to keep trying new things.
And hopefully, I’ll keep getting a little better along the way.
I’ve included my latest video below.
If you like it, subscribe and give it a thumbs up.
If you hate it, give it a thumbs down.
I’ll try to do better next time.
And if you really hate it...
Well, at least I gave you something to complain about.
Have a great day, and thanks for reading.
A Quick Note Before You Go
I also have a few products available through Amazon that I think comedy fans and people who enjoy this kind of content might like. Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through one of them.
It doesn't cost you anything extra, but it does help support the blog and gives me another excuse to keep making questionable jokes on the internet. 😄
Thanks for supporting the site!
INSIGNIA 40" Class FE Series LED Full HD Smart Fire TV with Alexa Voice Remote 119.99
A great Deal Click Here My Payhip Store
My Amazon Page
Tee Public Store: Click Here

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments please follow